MIDDLE SCHOOL PROGRAM AT MSR
Our middle school program is for students ages 12 through 15 (grades 7 through 8). Our Middle School classroom provides a prepared learning environment for adolescents that integrates vigorous student-centered academic studies with purposeful work, preparing them to become contributing adult citizens who are self-confident and possess skills needed to thrive in society.
Our Adolescent community allows opportunities for collaborative work and student leadership through:
- Daily student-led community meetings
- Activities, such exploring philosophical questions through Socratic discourse, inquiry-based problem solving, and applied scientific method, that encourage diversity of perspectives, thoughts, and learning styles
- A community within the classroom that encourages participation in classroom government and offers other leadership opportunities
Our curriculum promotes responsible and ethical use of technology, with the majority of the school day spent in learning activities and practices that require peer-to-peer and student-teacher interaction rather than screen time.
Our staff has developed the curriculum around interconnections that deepen learning, including:
- Micro-economic experiences such as developing and running a business or selling produce at a farmer’s market that promote a genuine understanding of currency and the value of work.
- Field work that may include land labs, camping, internships, service learning, entrepreneurship, and outdoor education trips.
*Adapted from the American Montessori Society