Montessori School of Ruston admits students of any race, color, national, or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities available to students at the school. The school does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national, or ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, or other school programs.
- Turn age 3 by September 30th of the year for which they are enrolling;
- Are fully potty-trained; and
- Are able to follow directions and communicate their needs.
Students entering the first grade must turn six years old before September 30th.
The vast majority of our elementary students have come through our preschool program. From time to time, however, we are able to enroll elementary students who are transferring from other schools. Because the transfer of a student from a traditional educational environment to a Montessori classroom can sometimes be tricky, there is a detailed process in place:
- First, the director and teaching staff must determine the availability of an additional "spot" based on the impact that an additional student would have on the dynamic of the learning environment.
- We may request past records (both academic and behavior), speak to previous teachers/principals, and/or ask to see samples of current student work.
- Finally, we sometimes invite students into one of our classrooms for a portion of a day, or a whole day, so that the teacher may work one-on-one with the child to determine placement in a Montessori classroom, as well as see the social interactions of a new child into the established group. It is vital to the Montessori classroom that there is a good "fit" for all parties involved.
- Once we have gathered all pertinent information, we will be able to make the decision that is best for the community.
While we would love to enroll every interested family, unfortunately our space is limited. If you are interested in enrolling your child at Montessori School of Ruston, please print and return a completed Application for Enrollment form to our office. It’s never too early for us to file your application, and there is currently no fee to be on our waiting list. Please keep the following things in mind regarding registration:
- We begin current student registration in February for the following fall.
- Once current students are registered, we open registration to siblings of past or present MSR students, and also to students transferring from other Montessori schools.
- Finally, we begin making calls to students on our waiting list. With respect to the dates of application, we also factor in boy/girl and age ratios in each of our classrooms. A formal interview (including school records where applicable) is the final step in our registration process.